This Forum is for meeting up with others that served in Korea. If you were in Korea during the War, or stationed in Korea any time after, you can post up where you were, and hopefully over time, will start meeting up with others that you served with.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Camp Market

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willco

PostSubject: Camp Market    Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 pm

I was Station @ Camp Market ( Ascom Depot) HQ & HQ 20th General Support Group , was all over Korea a different times with Supplies and doing Supply Aduits.

Camp Market was in the vicinity of Inchon and was a staging area and breakbulk point for units stationed along the demilitarized zone

Most incomprehensible is the omission of Camp Market, which is located in the middle of a residential area in Incheon. Camp Market was found to be the site of non-transparent disposal of highly hazardous materials in documents published by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The location of a waste treatment facility, it processed more than 500 drums of hazardous materials in 1987 alone, including mercury, asbestos, and sodium sulfate solution. In 1989, it was cited by the U.S. General Accounting Office after the U.S. military merely stated that it had disposed of 448 drums of toxic polychlorinated biphenyl without leaving any record on how it was disposed of or where.

Perhaps as a result of this, a study of the area around the base conducted by Incheon’s Bupyeong District in 2008 detected benzene, lead, and other toxic materials at anywhere from 2.4 to 12 times the standard levels in the soil and underground water. Total petroleum hydrocarbons were detected at a full 32 times standard levels near an apartment complex bordering on the waste treatment site. A 2009 Korea Environment Corporation study found toxic trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene, the same chemicals detected at Camp Carroll, at 2.7 and 2.3 times standard levels, respectively. Moreover, Camp Market is suspected of being the site to which the chemicals buried at Camp Carroll were moved. There also need to be document examinations and soil testing to answer the defoliant allegations raised regarding Camp Carroll.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregH

PostSubject: Re: Camp Market    Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Well thats just great, I slept next to my truck just inside the main gate when they sank the Cheonan in March of 2010. I had to lead a squad of guys out there for 3 days if I can remember correctly. I took a shower in one of the buildings out there. One DRMO building is active along with the fire department. Everything is looked vacated from walking around and checking it all out. Sorry I don't have any pictures for you.

Greg H.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hutchie

PostSubject: Re: Camp Market    Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

I was stationed at Camp Mercer, just down the road from 1971-73. We had a warehouse full of Agent Orange just inside the main gate. Oh, I forget, it never existed. right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camp Market    

Back to top Go down

Camp Market
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1