Korea
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is for meeting up with others that served in Korea. If you were in Korea during the War, or stationed in Korea any time after, you can post up where you were, and hopefully over time, will start meeting up with others that you served with.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheCoLLind

Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963 Empty
PostSubject: Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963   Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Wasn't the radio station up on the hill behind us? AFKN? Anyone remember? Also, we went on the only DEFCON 2 "Cocked Pistol" alert the Army has ever been on for the Cuban Missile Crisis shortly after I got there. We locked down the Camp Kaiser compound for four days that November 1962 as I remember. We had our flak-jackets, weapons and ammo. After the second day all the "Moose" came out and sat on the hills around us with parasols calling for us to come out! Anyone remember that? Remember having to pull duty through the night changing out the GI 5 gallon fuel oil cans on those funky GI Space heaters through the winter? Something about the Status of Forces Agreement, we couldn't have "permanent facilities! Remember the Quonset huts with plywood floors, and having to run through the snow to the common company latrine? Anyone remember? Col. Mike Lind, USA Ret. (Then Pfc/Sp4 Lind - Radio Repairman) Anyone remember "Hoss" or Ken Phillips, Dick Monroe, MSG Higdon, SGM Curan, CPT Dyke (Ranger) who made us all take that 10 mile forced march and had the HHC strung out over ten miles and the medics loading up all the Cooks, Mechanics, and such with blisters, pulled muscles, etc? What a hoot! No prep! Gung-ho! Just did it! It was a real disaster! Us young guys did okay but most had a heck of a time. (We never did it again, at least during my tour anyway.)
Back to top Go down
dougb

Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963   Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 pm

I too was in the HHC commo platoon, just a little earlier than you (1960-1961). I arrived at Kaiser the same time our new AN/GRC-46 was delivered and, fortunately, I was the only one who knew how to turn it on having finished a school at Ft. Campbell just before getting sent out.

We had a post shut-down in April of '60 when Rhee was run out of office. They lit up the perimeter fences and tripled the guard. Unfortunately, I was visiting an off-limits village over the hill at the back side of Kaiser. Around midnight when we came back and saw all the activity we had no idea as to what was going on or how we were going to sneak back on base. I thought I was going to get shot by one of my own as I crawled under the fence and made my way across the perimeter road - obviously, I made it ok.

I remember the gerry-can heaters and how when it got really cold outside, we could make those things burn cherry red.

During the rainy season did the shower water still turn mud brown? Did you get a chance to visit the Thai's in their barracks?

Glad we all survived to tell the stories.
Back to top Go down

Camp Kaiser Commo Plt/HHC/1/17th/7thID 1962-1963
Page 1 of 1