Korea
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is for meeting up with others that served in Korea. If you were in Korea during the War, or stationed in Korea any time after, you can post up where you were, and hopefully over time, will start meeting up with others that you served with.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camp Jonathan Williams

Go down 
+4
wljones
galen1961
hammer44
eolson
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wd4ngb

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 1:00 pm

I will also look around and see what I can find.

Back to top Go down
http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/army.htm
wd4ngb

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Well, I did a lot of research, and reading, and everything I have found so far, says that Camp Jonathan Williams was located on MSR 1, South of Camp Howez, just south of the Southern Check Point.  This also puts it south east of Camp Edwards.

I have added its rough location to this Interactive Map, and copied a few photos from here, to that page.  If ANY of you have and more photos, of information, post them here, or email them to me at wd4ngb@qsl.net

http://brucerichards.com/army/click%20map.htm

Bruce
Back to top Go down
Steve Jelf

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 pm

OK, I think I've got the location nailed down. It was tough because so much has changed, and a lot of the maps online aren't very good. But this one was the key.
Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen11
The natural features and the highway were the locating details here. Note the river bend south of the check point, and the other river bend south of CJW, and how the road makes a little jog to the west between the two river bends.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen12
Using those features I was able to find the spot on Google maps. This shows the river bends and the jog west in the road. The SK Juyuso gas station is at the intersection where the south check point was.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen13
This close-up satellite view shows the former camp west of that curve in the road. The old parade ground  is still there. The church and other buildings on the east side of the road are on the site of the old motor pool. North of the former camp are restaurants, coffee shops, towering apartment buildings, and a metro line. All of that was agricultural land when I was there.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen14
This modern view of the road is looking north, with the former camp on the left and the former motor pool on the right. My picture of the man with the ox cart was taken on this road just north of the motor pool. Since then the bend in the road and the hill shown in the picture have been excavated level, with the highway widened and straightened.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen15
This wide satellite view shows Seoul at bottom right center, Kimpo Airport to the west, Bukhansan Peak in the national park north of Seoul, and Uijeongbu north of that. The red marker shows Camp Jonathan Williams in relation to all those places.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen16
Here's the map version of the same view. With the satellite and maps I've tried to figure out where our old missile battery was, but so far no luck on that.
Back to top Go down
Steve Jelf

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Looking back I see I never posted the ox cart picture. Here it is.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 K_239_10
Today you'd see big apartment buildings behind  him, and he'd be driving a pickup.
Back to top Go down
wd4ngb

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Some good research.
Back to top Go down
Steve Jelf

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 8:48 pm

I think I figured out where the missile battery was/is. I expect the DPRK folks already know, but I won't post it here just in case.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve Jelf

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 10:31 am

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen17
This is about a quarter to half a mile north of where the 1965 ox cart picture was taken near the Camp Jonathan Williams gate. April, 2010.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen18
This is the same intersection. October, 2014.
Back to top Go down
Steve Jelf

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 K_09310
The road we used to take to work...

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Screen19
...now has four lanes of traffic, with a 711 at the corner where we turned to go up the mountain.
Back to top Go down
wd4ngb

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Hey Hammer 44: You asked someone earlier if they had been in D Co 4th Maint Bn.  I was in 69 70. Was a Tech Inspector at Stanley, then was up at St Barbara with the Detachment.  Great Unit and Great Times.

SP6 Richards.   They were just switching over from the sewed on, to pin on rank.

Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Pin%20on

http://brucerichards.com/army/stanley1.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camp Jonathan Williams   Camp Jonathan Williams - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camp Jonathan Williams
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2